[yt-users] halo finding on a volume subset

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 08:40:07 PDT 2010

Irina,

> Is there a way to run the halo finder on part of the  simulation volume?
> For example, I have a box 256 Mpc on a side but I only  want to find halos
>inside a smaller box, say 20 Mpc on a side.

Unfortunately, this is not currently possible in yt. However, it should be
possible if the right modifications are done. Something along these lines is how
HOP/FOF are parallelized, so it should be translateable to your problem. I am
not making promises that I will do this, but that it is possible. I'll think
about it.

However, I wonder why you only want halos in a small region? Do you have a
nested simulation? Does it seem like the halo finding is taking too long? Are
you looking for substructure? Depending on the answers to these questions, the
modifications discussed above may not be required.