[yt-users] Call for testing: VTK on Snow Leopard

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:41:20 PDT 2010

Hi Rick,

> You are correct! The only thing to watch out for is that the Qt site will try offer up the Carbon libraries, which I took the first time around. But, as you pointed out, we want the Cocoa ones [1], (qt-mac-cocoa-opensource).

Youch, thanks!  I've actually included the link you supplied in the
wiki page directly.  If everybody thinks it's good to go, I'll go
ahead and add it as an option to the OSX 10.6 script (off by default.)

> I should have been clearer about what I mean by "system Python". I didn't mean the version that came with OS X 10.6, but rather the one that you created as part of the OS X 10.6 installation script. It installs into /System/Library/Frameworks, and the VTK Python wrappers wanted a Python 2.6 in that location, and weren't happy the 2.6 build I had only in /usr/local.

Oh, hm, interesting -- I didn't mean for it to install into /System,
so I'll have to take a look.  But thanks, this clarification is good
to know.

> Looking closer at the dates to jog my memory, I built my version of Python on January 26 (the day I got my new laptop), because I was having trouble with the existing OS X install script. You'll note that you fixed this 2 weeks later with the 10.6 install. I had gotten everything I needed working, so I didn't test the new script.

Ah, rad.

Thanks a ton for the help debugging adn testing!  I've got a set of
ETS eggs if you want to give them a go -- the freetype install in
enable was giving me headaches so I thought I'd bundle them up.  I
suspect you've probably already got an install, but if you want to
have a go,

http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/osx/ETS-20100316.tar.gz

"easy_install -N dist/*.egg" or some variant should work.

Thanks again,

Matt