[yt-users] Call for testing: VTK on Snow Leopard

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 10:11:09 PDT 2010

Hi Rick,

Sam just immed me off list, and by importing libvtkRenderingPython he
came up with a lack of the Qt libraries.  Evidently I forgot that I
linked it against Qt -- my understanding is that this isn't strictly
necessary because the render interactors inside TVTK hijack the window
hints rather than embed inside Qt, but I could be wrong about that --
in any event, Snow Leopard can only use Qt for the time being, as
wxWidgets is Carbon-only.  Regardless, I'm going to try building
again, but I assert that installing the Qt (4.6) libraries from here:

http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/mac-os-cpp

*should* provide the necessary libraries to link and run.  We're still
testing, but as you can probably guess, it's hard to test the
relocatable libraries!

However, I am surprised it installed against the system python at all.
 I don't encourage others to try installing against that, as I have
tried to be very careful with the specific architectures included in
the Python distributed with the yt OSX10.6 installation script.  The
necessary images in the build of VTK may not be sufficient for the
"fat" build of Python that comes with 10.6, so you may very well get
information that you are missing system images even with Qt installed.
 The simple test would be to do:

python2.6 -c "import vtk.libvtkRenderingPython"

on the command line, once you have Qt installed.  If it complains
about missing system images, you will not be able to use my VTK build
with the system Python.

-Matt