[yt-users] halo density profiling

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 12:47:56 PDT 2010

Hi Irina,

It would be more correct to use weight_field='CellMassMsun' with a density
profile since what the profile is actually doing is adding up the field
values for all the cells inside a spherical shell.  Adding the weight field
tells the profiler to calculate the weighted mean value instead of simply
taking the sum.  Anything like density or temperature for which a simple sum
is meaningless should have a weight field.

The weight_field=None in the manual is a typo.  I will change it and the
next time the docs are rebuilt this will be reflected.  You can also view
the docs locally by unzipping the file docs_html.zip in the doc directory of
the yt install.

The halo profiler can essentially do two things: profiling and projections.
You can profile or project any field that yt makes available to you.  The
halo profiler also has functionality for filtering halos based on the
profiles.  All of this is discussed in detail in the halo profiler
documentation: http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/extensions/halo_profiling.html

Britton