[yt-users] Turbulent cascade

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 16:48:11 PST 2010

Hi Libby,

I've attached a quick shot at what you wanted. Please read through it and let me know if it does what you want and if I did something wrong (likely!), or if you don't understand why I did something.

There is one subtlety that I should point out. It is statistically improper to consider a pair of points farther apart that 1/2 the shortest dimension of the box. Consider your starting point at the center of the box. If you look epsilon less than 1/2 of the shorted dimension of the box away towards the closest face, you're looking at a point near the periodic edge of the box. If you then look epsilon more than 1/2 the box edge past that previous point, you've reflected around the periodic boundary, and your *actual* distance is epsilon less than 1/2 because of the period. So, any distances greater than 1/2 the minimum box edge are statistically improper.

I've also attached a plot which looks encouraging, I think! It would look smoother with more random points (bigger 'loopsize')

I hope this helps! If it does, please let me know and I'll make it prettier and such and stick it into the yt codebase with documentation.

sskory at physics.ucsd.edu           o__  Stephen Skory
http://physics.ucsd.edu/~sskory/ _.>/ _Graduate Student