[yt-users] phase plot CellVolume and CellVolumeCode

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:33:35 PST 2010

Hi Geoffrey,

Well, what do you -- and the rest of the users! -- think?  Should, by
default, the phase plot display the cumulative value in a bin, or
should it report the average value?  When I wrote this functionality a
couple years ago I was using it to look at the average H2 fraction in
a bin.  Nowadays, though, I have been using it more and more for mass
distribution.

What does everybody think?

-Matt

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM,  <gso at physics.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Yes the 2nd post should say in this order
> "Density","IonizationFraction","CellVolumeCode"
> and yes the weight=None fixed the plot, which I thought was on by default
> but when I checked again the default is actually "CellMassMsun"
>
> From
> G.S.
>
>> Hi Geoffrey,
>>
>> By default, the phase plot takes the average and weighs that average
>> by the mass in a cell.  Both of your plots should have "weight=None"
>> in the argument list, so that the total of the third quantity
>> ("CellMassMsun" and "CellVolumeCode", but I think for the second your
>> script must be different than what you copy/pasted) in each bin is
>> displayed, rather than the average.  For a unigrid simulation, the
>> average CellVolumeCode will be constant everywhere, and the average
>> Mass will increase with Density, as M = rho * V where V is a constant.
>>
>> -Matt
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM,  <gso at physics.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>> When I tried the following:
>>> p = pc.add_phase_object(dd,
>>> ["Density","IonizationFraction","CellMassMsun"], lazy_reader = True)
>>>
>>> this gave me a phase plot of IonizationFraction vs Density, and the z
>>> axis
>>> colorbar shows a distribution of different masses, but if I used the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> p = pc.add_phase_object(dd,
>>> ["Density","CellVolumeCode","IonizationFraction"], lazy_reader = True)
>>>
>>> I get no distribution in the z colorbar at all.  The z values seem to be
>>> put into place but not accumulated when multiple y vs x have the same
>>> value.  Can anyone verify this behavior?  I was looking through the
>>> documentation
>>>
>>> http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/modules/plotting.html?highlight=phase#yt.raven.PlotCollection.add_profile_object
>>>
>>> but the "accumulation" parameter sets whether the y values are summed
>>> along x instead of the z colorbar.
>>>
>>> The plots are attached.
>>>
>>> From
>>> G.S.