[yt-users] Installation script issue with pygtk

Andrew Myers atmyers at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:59:46 PST 2010

Hi Chris,

I've seen this before when trying to build yt on my machine. If the
matplotlib installer can't find tcl/tk on your machine, it won't be able to
build Tkinter. You'll need to install tcl/tk <http://www.tcl.tk/> and re-run
the yt install script.

You should be able to use yt with the 'Agg' backend even if you don't do
this. You won't be able to view figures interactively, but you will be able
to save .png files to look at later. This is probably the default backend,
which is why moving the matplotlibrc file allowed you to start iyt.

Andrew Myers