[yt-users] HaloProfiler vs sum_mass_in_sphere.py

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:32:29 PST 2009

Hi Shankar,

A few things come to mind here.  The TotalMassMsun field is defined as the
sum of [(baryon) Density + Dark_Matter_Density] * CellVolume.  The
Dark_Matter_Density field is a grid field that is interpolated from the
particle data using the cloud-in-cell method.  The mass of each particle is
smoothed over 2 cells in each direction, so 8 total 3D grid cells.  The
ParticleMassMsun field, on the other hand, is not a grid field, but a
particle field.  What this means is that when you sum ParticleMassMsun for
some region, you are getting the sum of the mass of all the particles
enclosed within that region.  When you sum TotalMassMsun, you are getting
the sum of the mass within each cell enclosed within the region.

Another possibility is that the value of TotalMassMsun being output in the
file you showed comes from interpolating a 1D radial profile of
TotalMassMsun vs. Overdensity for the value of the critical overdensity that
has been specified (default: 200).

Most likely, it's a combination of both of these, and the two values you're
looking at will never be exactly the same.  My impression is that the effect
will be greater if the sphere encompasses only a small number of cells,
since a larger fraction of the particles may contribute mass to cells that
are outside the sphere.  You should investigate this with spheres of
different sizes.

Regards,
Britton