[yt-users] installing yt on Steele

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 08:57:05 PST 2009

Hi Shankar,

> Does it matter whether yt part is appended or prepended or somewhere in the middle ?

>From what you've sent, it looks like it should be okay.  But I'm not
entirely positive, you'll just have to test it out, I suppose.  If
it's not, it will fail with errors about not finding libraries, or
GLIBC errors, or something along those lines.  Hopefully it won't!  :)

> I was told by NCSA that wxpython=1 is needed for X-forwarding. Is that true ? Or I can just go back to wxpython=0 and install.

I'd say just go back to wxpython=0 -- it's only used by the wxAgg
backend in Matplotlib and the yt GUI reason, but it looks like Steele
is missing the necessary backend libraries, all of which are a huge
pain to install.  You should be fine without it.

Good luck!