[yt-users] Unigrid datasets, covering grid

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:43:21 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

The covering grid does no interpolation.  The smoothed covering grid
will, but covering grids themselves operate on a filling basis -- for
instance, if you have a 32^3 root grid that you put into a 64^3
covering grid, all cells at the root grid level that have no child
cells will become 8 cells in the final output.

An easy means of verifying this would be to compare a manually-taken
slice through the covering grid to a slice through the entire
simulation domain; the images should be roughly identical, and any
errors should clearly stick out.  Note that the covering grid itself
currently operates via floating point math, but an integer-based
covering grid operator is being tested for inclusion.  (It is
currently only in the hg repositories on hg.enzotools.org and on
bitbucket.)

-Matt