[yt-users] scripts, the write_out method, plot_options, and 1D profiles, oh my!

David A. Ventimiglia ventimig at msu.edu
Tue May 12 16:43:04 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've a few more yt newbie questions, and I'm grateful for the patience
of the yt gods.

1. How do I write scripts?  Presumably, they're Python scripts with the
appropriate imports, but what do I import?  When I try, say, 'import
yt.lagos as lagos' from within a vanilla Python interpreter, I get this
error from with numpy:

	...undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode

2. How do I use the write_out() method to export data?  Specifically, I
tried the following, which generated an error:

	x = pf.h.ray(0, [0.5, 0.5], "Density")
	x.write_out("x.dat",fields=["Density"])

Eventually, I'll probably learn how to do everything I need to do from
within yt, so this is a lower priority for me.

3. The background to question no. 2 is that I'd like to generate, not a
radial profile, but a 1D profile along one axis through the center of a
box, and I thought I'd see what my options are using other plotting
tools.  But maybe EnzoOrthoRay isn't even the best way to go about this.
What is the best way to make non-radial, 1D profiles along one axis?

4. I did generate 1D line profiles using PlotCollection.add_ortho_ray
(though I guess they're not binned), which may be just what I need.  In
that case (and for other plots), how does one change the look of the
plot, such as plot ranges, line weights, colors, types, etc.?

As always, thanks in advance!
Best,
David