[yt-users] Mac OS X matplotlib WX backend

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:05:31 PST 2009

Hi there,

> This appears to be a known problem with the Enthought python distribution.
> (See https://svn.enthought.com/epd/ticket/186 .) I have verified that I get
> the same behavior using ordinary ipython rather than iyt. Happily there is
> also a known solution for ipython: simply invoke ipython with the -whtread
> option. I have tried this and it solves the problem--- in ipython.
>
> My question now is how to do the same thing for iyt. Is there a build option somewhere,
> so that iyt will start ipython with the -wthread flag?

Oh, yikes, thank you for bringing this to our attention and tracking
down the source.  You're completely right, and the bug is definitely
on the yt end.  I think the source of the error is the way we're
embedding the Matplotlib-based IPython interpreter.  It looks like (in
scripts/iyt: http://yt.enzotools.org/browser/trunk/scripts/iyt/#L21 )
we're initializing:

IPython.Shell.IPShellMatplotlib

but I think what we *ought* to be doing is initializing:

IPython.Shell.IPShellMatplotlibWX

if we're doing interactive work.  I was able to replicate the
beachball error you mention, and this change has fixed it for me.  I
believe the original decision to go with the former was made under the
assumption that IPython knew how to choose the appropriate backend
engine; this may have been in error.  I believe currently most users
only use 'wx' and not, for instance, 'tk' or 'Qt' so this should be
okay.  I'll do some research and possibly contact the IPython
developers for more information, but if you make that change (I have
included a diff below, for usage with 'patch -p1' inside the yt
directory) and then re-run either "python setup.py install" or "python
setup.py develop" (depending on how it was installed originally) it
should propagate that change, and 'iyt' should work.

I'll report back once I have more information, and if/when this change
gets committed to the source repository.

Thanks very much for tracking this down!