[yt-users] Display variable error?

david collins antpuncher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:13:18 PDT 2009

Hi, all--

Has anyone seen this error, and do you have a way to get around it
without re-launching yt?

<error>
 plt.clf()
  File "/nics/b/home/collins/local_xt5/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 336, in clf
    gcf().clf()
  File "/nics/b/home/collins/local_xt5/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 273, in gcf
    return figure()
  File "/nics/b/home/collins/local_xt5/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 251, in figure
    **kwargs)
  File "/nics/b/home/collins/local_xt5/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_tkagg.py",
line 90, in new_figure_manager
    window = Tk.Tk()
  File "/nics/b/home/collins/local_xt5//lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py",
line 1643, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
</error>

I'm running yt on kraken xt5 through a screen session that I have
re-started after logging out and logging back in.  This has not
happened on other machines I've done this one.  I tried
setenv DISPLAY 666.666.6.6:0
(with the ip of the beast replaced with something real) but it didn't work.

Thanks,
d.