[yt-users] yt memory usage

Stella Offner soffner at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 27 10:42:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've been working on setting up yt code to interpolate from an AMR
dataset to a spherical grid of points. Thanks to help from Jeff, I've
used a covering grid to extract the data and then
TrilinearFieldInterpolator to derive the values on the grid of
points. The problem is that the covering grid allocates the entire
data array on the maximum level ~4500^3, which doesn't fit into the
memory on the Nersc Davinci machine (72 gb max).  I really only need
the cells adaject to points in the output grid, which is < 150^3. Is
there a more efficient way of using covering_grid or extracting the
AMR data that doesn't involve first interpolating the entire region
to the maximum level? (The code definitely works for smaller grids/
lower max levels, but I really need to get at the high resolution AMR
data).

Thanks for your help!
Stella