[yt-users] Mac OS X matplotlib WX backend

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:13:16 PST 2009

Hi Stephen,

What you've quoted is actually kind of installation dependent, which
is unfortunate and needs to be fixed.  Setuptools, which we currently
use to construct a few entry points, sometimes does magic to get
around installing the actual scripts.  The line:
"pkg_resources.run_script('yt==1.5dev', 'iyt')" was automatically
generated *by* setuptools to run iyt, which lives inside the scripts/
directory in the repository.  'iyt' itself does the instantiation of
the IPython shell, which handles the threading.  Changing the
execution mechanism of the setuptools generated script will only
change it until the next install, and I think we can provide, instead,
a long-term fix by changing how IPython is instantiated.  'iyt' is
where everything happens.

Sigh, 'iyt' is something that should *just work*.  I am embarrassed
that it does not.  I'll look into this, but I believe my previous fix
will be a workable one.

-Matt

PS As a sidenote, we need to get rid of setuptools.  We've had a
ticket for a little while: http://yt.enzotools.org/ticket/175 to do
this.  Setuptools just adds too much magic and we don't get enough
back from it.