[yt-users] Mac OS X matplotlib WX backend

Thomas Statler tss at coma.phy.ohiou.edu
Tue Mar 3 09:40:22 PST 2009

I've just installed yt on an Intel Mac and am trying to follow the
examples for time series plots with iyt. When the pylab.plot statement
is executed, the python plot window appears and python hangs (spinning
beachball cursor). If I wait long enough a plot eventually shows up
but python is still hung.

This appears to be a known problem with the Enthought python
distribution. (See https://svn.enthought.com/epd/ticket/186 .) I have
verified that I get the same behavior using ordinary ipython rather
than iyt. Happily there is also a known solution for ipython: simply
invoke ipython with the -whtread option. I have tried this and it
solves the problem--- in ipython.

My question now is how to do the same thing for iyt. Is there a build
option somewhere, so that iyt will start ipython with the -wthread flag?