[yt-users] Plot titles

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 08:30:58 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

I believe that you should be okay directly modifying the _axes object
of the plot, if you are modifying profile plots.  This is probably not
the case for slices and projections, if you change the image viewing
width.

You could accomplish this by something like:

plot = pc.add_phase_sphere(...)
plot._axes.title("My Title")

You can also access the figure with _figure.

The callback interface is something of a pragmatic approach to the
system of plotting used for variable mesh plots -- slices,
projections, etc.  The idea was that one should be able to overlay a
set of data-oriented modifications to the plot, because for a given
plot, multiple images might get saved, for instance at different
widths.  So I set up a system of "callbacks" designed such that every
time the plot was erased and recreated, it would have (laid on top)
the same contours, or velocity, but changed the same way the image had
been changed.  So for a "Density" zoomin, you'd only have to add the
"Temperature" contours once, and every time you changed the width they
would be updated.

Because the variable mesh plots have their axes wiped between updates
of the image data, all the other data plotted on those axes are wiped
as well.  That's why the callbacks are necessary for things like
simple annotations.  The long term strategy for the callbacks is to
provide a much simpler interface for very simple things.  I hope to
implement this very soon.

-Matt