[yt-users] Install Script Issues

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:34:02 PST 2009

Hi Rick,

First off, thanks for the report!

> I don't think this is very big deal, but it may be worth mentioning on the
> Wiki that "wget http://svn.enzotools.org/yt/trunk/doc/install_script.sh" is
> a work around. Personally, I find this preferable, since I really hope I'm
> not reinstalling so often that I need to update the script regularly.

I've made a note of this on the wiki.  (As a side note, 'svn export'
actually strips out all the version control information, so it does
not embed any metadata/.svn dirs -- I guess wget is easier, though!)

> The second bump in the road was when it went to build zlib, since that was
> the default. I'm not sure that the tried to download the packages, but the
> URL http://yt.enzotools.org/dependencies/zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2 throws a 404.

It should make a note of it when it tries to download, although I tell
wget to suppress the progress bar.  Also, zlib is not among the
libraries that are mirrored -- only numpy, matplotlib, ipython and
pytables, which are the packages that used to be installed via
easy_install, in recent versions of the install_script.  Do you think
I should mirror zlib?  I have absolutely no objection to this; I think
this is the first time I've heard of connectivity problems, but if we
get any more reports I'll snag it and put it up on yt.e.o.

Did it by any chance hang for a *really* long time while it claimed to
be downloading?  Maybe the connection to the remote server timed
out...

> This was fixed by setting INST_ZLIB=0. Again, not a big deal.

You can also force it to re-download by removing whatever vestigial
traces of zlib-*.gz it has downloaded.

The longer term, better solution here is to verify against md5sums; I
have not implemented this, but it is (clearly) the right way to do it.
 It's probably easier to do this with a framework like zc.buildout,
but that is not quite as flexible as raw shell scripting for the
specific requirements we have -- it's designed much more for egg-based
installations, which we're moving away from with yt.  (
http://yt.enzotools.org/ticket/175 )  I'll take a look, though,
because I've been bitten by weird wget-truncation problems before,
too.

> Other than these items, the install went perfectly, and all of the installed
> packages seem to be working fine.

Oh, great!  I'm very glad to hear this.

Thanks for your report & suggestions!