[yt-users] Yt not installing right

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:53:50 PST 2009

[install_log trimmed]

So, it seem to me that it is in fact a semi-known issue, where numpy
is using g77 to link and install.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
correctly use the "-shared" option.  This shows up in the lapack
compilation & linkage step, which is where the install fails.

We can try a couple things here, but unfortunately it might be a
little bit experimental.  I will be using the environment variables
you have set in the install_script.sh here for convenience; you'll
need to insert the correct value of DEST_DIR.  A lead $ means that
command should be typed in at the prompt.

##

First off, try installing gfortran, if it is not already installed.

$ sudo apt-get install gfortran

Then, if that succeeds:

$ cd $DEST_DIR/src/numpy-1.2.1
$ rm -rf build dist
$ $DEST_DIR/bin/python2.6 setup.py build_ext --fcompiler=gfortran
$ $DEST_DIR/bin/python2.6 setup.py install

If this works, and it might not,

$ touch done

and then re-run the install script.  This should pass over most of the
installation and continue on where it left off.

The second option, which I think is less likely to work:

##

$ cd $DEST_DIR/src/numpy-1.2.1/
$ $DEST_DIR/bin/python2.6 setup.py config_fc --f77flags="-shared" built_ext
$ $DEST_DIR/bin/python2.6 setup.py install

and if that works,

$ touch done

and then, again, re-run the install_script.sh.

Let me know how those two options go; hopefully we can figure this
out.  If not, I have another idea that I'm a bit reluctant to suggest,
which is to have you "$DEST_DIR/bin/easy_install scons numscons" and
then run "$DEST_DIR/bin/python2.6 setup.py scons install" from the
numpy directory.  David Cournapeau has done some amazing work with
scons, and it seems like it will ultimately be the build system for
NumPy (and it's pretty great) but I am hesitant because it requires
two additional dependencies right now.

Let me know how it goes,

-Matt