[yt-users] Survey results and documentation

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:59:49 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

Okay, the results of the short, two-question survey are in: almost
everybody that uses a Mac uses EPD, everybody else works on remote
systems, and nobody uses funky-shaped/aligned covering grids.  This
has two upshots:

1.  the GUI may start including components that utilize TraitsUI or
TVTK, both of which are Enthought packages.  The first will speed
development time, make for easier expansion of featuresets, and enable
better maintenance of the GUI.  The second will allow me to wrap into
the main GUI the VTK stuff that currently sits inside VTKInterface and
that is currently standalone.  (It's kind of simple so far; movable
planes, transparent contours and camera path design.)  TraitsUI would
likely be wrapped into the installation script with wxPython, but TVTK
would not be.
2.  the covering grid will be rewritten to use integer math.  This
will speed thing up not just because of the math, but because of the
greater number of assumptions that can be made, and thus the
simplified algorithm for filling in the covering grid.

Thanks, everybody!

Now, for the second part.  As some of you may have realized, the
documentation could be improved.  I'd like to put out a public call
for feedback.  If you could answer (off-list, private to me) the
following three questions, that would be great:

1. Where would you like documentation efforts to be focused: a)
recipes/scripts, b) object model description or c) tutorials?
2. Would you prefer this documentation be on a) the Wiki (
http://yt.enzotools.org/wiki/ ) or b) in the yt source distribution (
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/ )
3. Do you have any suggestions?

(your response can be as simple a response as: ' a, b, no ' if you like)

Thanks, and I apologize for filling up everyone's inboxes.  The 1.5
release is not terribly far away, but an important component of that
is going to be documentation, and it'd be helpful to know where to
focus our efforts.