[yt-users] HaloProfiler ActualOverdensity

Eric Hallman Eric.Hallman at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 2 10:56:54 PST 2009

Shankar and Britton,
   I have gone through this argument extensively, and discovered that
both definitions are used, with roughly equal frequency in the
literature. Lately, it has been trending toward OD = density/mean
density (matter). I think the main reason for the density with respect
to critical in the past has been due to an historical preference for
omega_m=1 universes (SCDM).

cheers,

On Dec 2, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Britton Smith wrote:

> Shankar,
>
> As I stated in my previous email, you will find both definitions
> used in the literature.  I'm not going to spend time in a citation
> battle.  The good news is that both definitions differ only by a
> factor of Omega_matter, so you can change the value of
> virial_overdensity accordingly.
>
> Britton
>
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Agarwal, Shankar <sagarwal at ku.edu>
> wrote:
> Hi Britton,
>
> I just wanted a clarification on the definition of
> ActualOverdensity. In your mail, you said...
>
>  "ActualOverdensity has the same physical meaning as the regular
> Overdensity
>  field.  It is (Baryon Density + Dark Matter Density) / (Mean
> density of the
>  universe).  If you search the literature, you will find alternate
>  definitions that use critical density instead of mean density. The
> one used
>  here is a little more common."
>

> Are you sure you did not mean (Baryon Density + Dark Matter
> Density) / (critical density) ?
>

> Because, in halo_profiler.py, there is a virial filter...
>
> hp.add_halo_filter(HP.VirialFilter,must_be_virialized=True,
>                   overdensity_field='ActualOverdensity',
>                   virial_overdensity=200,
>                   virial_filters=[['TotalMassMsun','>=','1e14']],
>                   virial_quantities=['TotalMassMsun','RadiusMpc'])
>

> Isn't 200 w.r.t rho_ciritcal (not rho_mean_matter)? Look http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0011495
>

> shankar

Dr. Eric J. Hallman
NSF Astronomy and Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy
University of Colorado at Boulder
hallman (at) casa.colorado.edu
Phone: (312) 725-4626
http://solo.colorado.edu/~hallman/