[yt-users] r_min in HaloProfiler

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:23:37 PST 2009

Shankar,

r_min is defined in your email:
r_min = 2 * self.pf.h.get_smallest_dx() * self.pf['mpc']

it's twice the smallest dx in units of mpc, dx being the smallest cell size.
 it is being rejected because your halo has something like 3 cells (radial)
in it, which is almost certainly not resolved.

sam

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Agarwal, Shankar <sagarwal at ku.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While running HaloProfiler, I am seeing this...
>
> P001 yt.lagos   ERROR      2009-12-08 15:53:22,403 Skipping halo with r_max
> / r_min = 1.885682.
>

> I looked at yt/extensions/HaloProfiler.py...
>
>           r_min = 2 * self.pf.h.get_smallest_dx() * self.pf['mpc']
>            if (halo['r_max'] / r_min < PROFILE_RADIUS_THRESHOLD):
>                mylog.error("Skipping halo with r_max / r_min = %f." %
> (halo['r_max']/r_min))
>

> r_max would be the distance to the furthest particle in the halo as found
> by HaloFinder.
> But what is r_min ? And what is the basis for skipping this halo ?
>

> shankar

Samuel W. Skillman
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellow
Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy
University of Colorado at Boulder
samuel.skillman[at]colorado.edu