[yt-users] Profiles and normal graphs

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:20:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'd like to echo a bit of Brian and Britton's response.  In YT a
'profile' can be in multiple dimensions; it's a way of taking an
N-dimensional weighted-average of the data, after having segmented it
into different bins.

For instance, in my work, I often need to examine how the molecular
hydrogen fraction in gas is related to the density and temperature.
So I take a weighted-average -- what in YT is called a 'phase profile'
-- of the gas, looking at the average H2 fraction in bins of Density
and Temperature.

However, that's a means of reducing the dimensionality of the data.
If you want to examine spatial information, you would usually use
something like a slice (whereby you examine all of the data in an
axis-parallel fashion at a given point along the axis) or a projection
(where the data is summed along a given axis, or a weighted-average
along a given axis is taken.)

Again, though, if you tell us a bit about the question you're trying
to answer, we can possibly respond with more meaningful information
about ways of approaching that question.

Best wishes,

Matt