[yt-users] Binned profile 3d

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:29:25 PDT 2008

Hi there,

Thanks to a pointer from Rick Wagner, I've taken a bit of time to put
some simple volume rendering into yt.  This is all based on the S2PLOT
library (http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/s2plot/index.php?title=S2PLOT).
Right now there are convenience functions for putting phase plots and
standard unigrid data into a window, interacting, adding isosurfaces
and adding particles.

If you want to play with this, I've added two recipes to the Trac wiki:

http://yt.enzotools.org/wiki/Recipes/SimpleVolumeRendering
http://yt.enzotools.org/wiki/Recipes/BinnedProfile3D

Data-serialization of 3D profiles has been added, but as of right now
the convenience functions for adding new 3D plots of serialized data
are not there.  The goal would be to generate a profile object on a
different machine than the one it is plotted on; I will have recipes
for doing that at some point in the near future.  (As my research
demands -- and boy does it demand it lately! :)

One of the coolest things about this is that you can feed in a
parameter to the S2PLOT command to get a huge, stereo window for
display on a wall.

-Matt

P.S. The installation method for S2PLOT is slightly peculiar, but
ultimately it worked for me...  I haven't tried it on anything other
than OSX, however.