[yt-users] Installation yt on Debian

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:53:56 PST 2008

Hi Florian,

It seems that there must be a problem with the "https" URIs.  We
*should* be able to get around that by doing:

${DEST_DIR}/bin/easy_install
"http://downloads.sourceforge.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.98.3.tar.gz?modtime=1217773039&big_mirror=0"

That should all be on one line, and ${DEST_DIR} is the value of
DEST_DIR in install_script.sh .  If this doesn't work, you can also do
it by hand:

cd ${DEST_DIR}/src/
wget "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.98.3.tar.gz?modtime=1217773039&big_mirror=0"
tar xvfz matplotlib-0.98.3.tar.gz
cd matplotlib-0.98.3
${DEST_DIR}/bin/python2.5 setup.py install

where, again, ${DEST_DIR} is the value of DEST_DIR in install_script.sh.

After either of these is run, you should be able to re-run the
install_script and it should automatically skip over that step and
complete the yt installation.

I hope this works for you, but please let me know if it doesn't!

-Matt

PS This is all for an isolated yt install; you should also be able, on
a Debian system, to install the necessary packages using 'apt-get' and
then install yt individually.  Unfortunately I am traveling for a few
days, so while I can try to help you with easy_install, my own debian
machine is at home, turned off, so I can't get the specific Debian
package names.  If somebody else on the list has any ideas for the
*specific* package names, though, that'd be great!