[yt-dev] dependency addition for yt

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:38:39 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I am working on a new yt frontend for the Enzo-P code.  Enzo-P outputs
runtime parameters in a libconfig format and I am looking for a reliable
package to read this.

yt has a libconfig-style reader in yt/utilities/pyparselibconfig, but it
does not seem to parse Enzo-P parameter files correctly.  I have tried a
few other python libconfig parsers that do parse them correctly, so I
believe the problem is with the yt module.  For what it's worth, the only
use of yt's libconfig parser is in the Enzo frontend for a certain style of
Enzo-3.0 data, but it doesn't look like this is being tested, nor do we
host any sample data of this format.

I have a PR open for the Enzo-P frontend here
<https://github.com/yt-project/yt/pull/1490> that makes use of an external
package, called libconf <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/libconf>.  I've
implemented this as an on-demand import, so it will only be required if
you're actually loading Enzo-P data.

The pros for libconf are that it's pure python, pip installable, has a
permissive MIT license, and works in both python 2 and 3.  The con is of
course that this adds a new dependency.  Personally, I would prefer not
having to maintain our own module to do this, but I'm open to other
opinions.

What are people's thoughts on adding this dependency?

Britton