[yt-dev] yt astro analysis

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 14:11:18 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Joseph Smidt <josephsmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to say, even though I never commit to the repository so
> probably shouldn't respond to a dev email :), that you guys are amazing.
> YT has probably saved the average person who uses it *years* of analysis
> time, and the ease at which you have transitioned to a platform without
> drama is equally impressive. It also has made it so that every year I have
> summer students, they can produce results on day one which is worth its
> weight in gold.
>
> The only mistake I think you have made over the years is to have drinken
> the maplotlib koolaid and adopted a default colorscale that looks like a
> green version of greyscale. But I realize this koolaid involves the
> superiority you feel when reduce the eye to a linear algebra system (like
> any good nerdish koolaid should) and so I not going to debate the point
> other than to say: you guys are amazing.  You have saved the world
> countless hours and have made the barrier to entry such that nobody need
> waste any time.

Just a comment: If you don't like the default yt colormap you can configure
it in your yt configuration file:

http://yt-project.org/doc/reference/configuration.html#the-configuration-file

using the default_colormap configuration option. The name of the old
default is "algae". We switched away from algae because it is not
perceptually uniform.