[yt-dev] Question about adding dynamical dark energy

Jared Coughlin Jared.W.Coughlin.29 at nd.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:27:44 PDT 2017

Hello! I've modified the Cosmology class is cosmology.py to take a couple
of parameters for working with the Linder 2002 parameterization of w(a) =
w_0 + w_a (1 - a) in dynamical dark energy, but leaving the cosmological
constant as the default choice. However, because the cosmology class is
used internally in yt in several places (where it takes its parameters from
the dataset object itself), I was thinking it would make the most sense to
add these parameters to the dataset object itself so that they could be set
when loading data (as they're not actually stored in the simulation output
itself).  These parameters are a value for w_0, a value for w_a, and a flag
saying whether or not to use dynamical dark energy or the cosmological
constant. I tried looking at the yt source code to find where the best
place to do this would be, but I just thought I would ask, just to be safe
and sure about it.

So, my question is: what do I need to modify in order to add those three
parameters to a generic dataset object (I'm using gadget, but it would be
nice if they were independent of simulation code) so that they can then be
passed to the cosmology class in yt? Thanks!
-Jared