[yt-dev] NetCDF autoloader

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:18:37 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Marianne Corvellec <
marianne.corvellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> Back in March, I started a thread with the same subject on the
> Discussion list [1].
>
> As recommended in the guidelines [2], I'm dropping you a line to let
> you know that I have started working on a netcdf frontend.
>
> I'm pushing the work in progress on a feature branch of my fork [3].
>
> I'm about to load the input file with `netCDF4.Dataset()` in
> `data_structures.py` and I'll use the length and time units as parsed
> from the metadata.
>
> There is no mass unit though.  Is there any way to mark it as 'not
> applicable'?  Setting the mass unit to `None` currently leads to an
> error.

Apologies for not replying, this message ended up in my spam folder for
some reason.

No, we currently require you to supply mass units.

Are there really no quantities with units of mass or density in your data?
If so then just leaving the mass unit as a dummy value should work.

Can you explain a little bit more why it doesn't make sense to define a
mass unit for your data?