[yt-dev] Preparing to release yt 3.4

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:05:58 PDT 2017

Hi all,

tl;dr: I'd like to cut a yt 3.4 release next week and want to know if
anyone has an issue with that.

I was a bit optimistic about what would get done at SciPy and unfortunately
we were not able to fix all the open issues for 3.4 that week. Since then
I've been trying to get the remaining issues squared away so we can cut yt
3.4 ASAP. You can see the issues on the 3.4 milestone here:

https://github.com/yt-project/yt/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A3.4

Currently all of the open issues have open pull requests to address them
except for #1268. The pull request for #941 has been open a long time and
still needs some work, which I am planning to do this weekend or early next
week. I expect the pull requests for the other issues to be merged within
the next week.

For #1268, I think I'd like to punt on it, since it requires specialized
knowledge about the inline yt interface in Enzo and no one has stepped up
to work on it. I don't think it makes sense to delay the release on getting
that issue fixed.

If all that happens, that will leave us with zero open issues against the
3.4 milestone sometime next week. There are a bunch of new features that
haven't been in a stable release yet along with a number of big fixes that
have come in since yt 3.3.5 and I think we owe it to our contributors to
not delay the release any longer than we absolutely need to.

I'd like to know if anyone has an issue with getting a 3.4 release out as
soon as all of the issues currently marked for 3.4 are merged.

I'll volunteer to be the release manager in case there are issues with our
release process now that we're on github and will update our release
documentation accordingly. If anyone would like to help out that would be
very much appreciated, particularly with writing the release notes.

That's about it, let me know what you think,

Nathan