[yt-dev] Proposal: Move main repo to github May 1

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 09:20:32 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'd like to propose that we agree to "flip the switch" on switching the
main repository to github on May 1.  That means that from May 1 we will no
longer accept pull requests on bitbucket and we will switch to mirroring
from github to bitbucket.

When Matt originally proposed his YTEP, he suggested that we have a "soft"
transition where we don't accept new pull requests on bitbucket and also
don't accept pull requests on github. This would allow us to process the
currently open pull requests and give people some time to move their pull
requests over.

I don't think we need to shut down all new development for two weeks.
Instead, I think we just need to merge in the pull requests that are
mergeable and open on bitbucket and then tell people to port any
unmergeable pull requests over to github. Matt putt together some
instructions on how to export pull requests here:
https://github.com/yt-project/bb-migration/issues/7#issuecomment-296304236

I just looked over the list of open pull requests on bitbucket and I think
the following pull requests can be merged:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2534
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2537
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2539
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2544
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2560
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2575
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2580
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2584
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2585
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2587
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2589
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2590

If we can get some eyes on these pull requests in particular that would be
helpful. I think most or all of them can be merged in as-is, but we need
more code reviewers to make sure we can actually do that.

Does anyone have objections to pulling the trigger on the switch to github
May 1?

-Nathan