[yt-dev] SPH Smoothing Formulation?

Molly Peeples molly at stsci.edu
Thu Sep 8 10:47:08 PDT 2016

Hi Cameron,

Someone else will be able to answer about the depositing but this is a little tricky since the actual kernel depends on which SPH formulation is used: some use a cubic spline, some a quintic, etc., and some have the “smoothing length” as h while other use h/2. The Springel (2003) paper though is a good place to start; iirc, he has the equation for the cubic spline (along with the definition of h) there.

—Molly