[yt-dev] to the community

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 13:49:12 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

In light of the recent election and some of the negative events that have
happened, we want to reassure you, and at the same time make it clear to
all, that we expect the yt community to continue to be a place of
tolerance, kindness, and respect for everyone. We will certainly not judge
or discriminate against people based on their values, beliefs, political
affiliation or lack thereof, lifestyles, life experiences, race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status,
genetic information, marital status, disability, sexual orientation
including gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or
status as a protected veteran. We have a code of conduct, which can be
reviewed at http://yt-project.org/community.html , which covers
interactions on the mailing list, at in person workshops, on Slack or IRC,
and commit messages.

Importantly, we want to make sure you are aware that this tolerance of
viewpoints does *not* extend to tolerance of harassing, rude, or intolerant
statements or behavior. If any of you experience or witness something along
these lines, please let members of the steering committee know.  If you
have something you wish to report that you would like to remain
confidential, please email confidential at yt-project.org , and we will work
to address this issue.

For more information, this blog post on the Committee for the Status of
Women in Astronomy has suggested actions for when you find yourself to be a
bystander:
http://womeninastronomy.blogspot.com/2016/11/reflection-moment-importance-of.html
, including links to other resources.

Based on our experiences with the yt community as a group and individually,
none of us anticipate this to be a concern.  However, we cannot condemn
strongly enough hateful language or actions, and want to take this
opportunity to reassure this community that we will not tolerate it in our
midst.

Thank you,

yt steering committee