[yt-dev] yt Particle Plots & openPMD Frontend

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:37:05 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Huebl, Axel <a.huebl at hzdr.de> wrote:

> Hi yt-devs,
>
> I am forwarding this conversation to the public list to keep it open for
> others to join in and to build up a record that might help others.
>
> Our new student Fabian updated our frontend and implemented particle
> readers. Unfortunately some details of the particle "fields" still cause
> some bumps that we can not get our head around.
>
> We are now able to read fields and particles, even chunk-wise, and can
> work with the data we read in python scripts via the all_data() method.
>
> Nevertheless, using the particle scatter plots such as yt.ParticlePlot
> seems not to work. We have some problems with unions / the "all" group
> and the fact that we have several particle species (e.g., "hot
> electrons", "cold electrons", "helium ions", "nitrogen ions", etc.)

The 'all' particle union should get set up automatically, but maybe
something is going wrong with that machinery.

Can you create a test script that illustrates this issue using a publicly
available OpenPMD dataset?

> Also since the last rebase: did someone recently change the unit system
> in yt? T for "Tesla" seems not to be understood any more. Is there a
> changelog somewhere available? Do we have to describe our data in cgs /
> mks?

I just double-checked, and Tesla should be working:

In [1]: from yt import YTQuantity

In [2]: YTQuantity(1, 'T')
Out[2]: 1.0 T

In [3]: YTQuantity(1, 'T').to_equivalent('G', 'CGS')
Out[3]: 10000.0 G

Can you explain a little bit more what issue you're having? A test script
that illustrates the issue would also help.