[yt-dev] A set of benchmarks

Jonah Miller jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:32:47 PDT 2016

Hi Matt,

Thanks very much for your comments!

On 16-05-06 11:58 AM, Matthew Turk wrote:
> I think that the cost is likely dominated by the vertex-centering.  It
> may be possible to overload get_vertex_centered_data for your subclass
> of AMRPatchGrid to make this faster based on your data format.  I am
> not sure that it is a huge cost to do the ray casting itself; there
> are likely python operations like writing the image, etc, that are a
> non-negligible fraction of that time.

I see. Do you have any insight into how we might prepare the data to
facilitate this? Or how we might prepare the data to minimize the cost
here? For example, is yt more efficient with many small grids or with a
few large grids? Since we perform a pre-processing step before feeding
our data to yt, it may be possible to generate grids that are efficient
for yt.

Best,
Jonah