[yt-dev] Small change for default plot style

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:41:03 PDT 2016

Hi all,

On a whim I just tried out matplotlib's master branch, which includes the
changes to the default plot style that will be in matplotlib 2.0.

One of the things they changed is the way tickmarks are displayed.
Currently, they go *inwards* in a plot, in matplotlib 2.0 they will go
*outwards*.

Changes to matplotlib shouldn't trigger changes to yt plots just because
matplotlib changed, but perhaps we should purposefully adopt this change,
since it can make plots easier to read.

To make that concrete, here's a plot I just made using yt and matplotlib's
master branch:

http://imgur.com/BtEWO3U

I don't understand why the fonts aren't correct - that will be fixed - but
as far as the tickmarks go, I actually kind of like this. I think it's
easier to read, especially for dark colormaps.

What do you all think? What do you think about adopting outward pointing
tickmarks for yt plots?

-Nathan