[yt-dev] Should support for octree data in the AMRKDTree be a blocker for 3.3?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:26:58 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm moving some discussion from the comments in issue #1212 over to the
mailing list:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1212

I wanted to check with the list since Cameron objected a bit in the issue
discussion.

The issue Cameron identifies is pretty serious, but fully fixing it will
require pretty substantial work - adding support for octree data to the
AMRKDTree.

I've gone ahead and marked it for version 3.4 - i.e. that it shouldn't be a
blocker for the 3.3 release. I've also created issue 1215:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1215

which will be fixed when yt produces a useful error message rather than seg
faulting when trying to construct an AMRKDTree for unsupported data.

I think that requiring someone to add support for octree data to the
AMRKDTree before we release 3.3 is effectively delaying the 3.3 release
arbitrarily far into the future, since no one is currently willing to work
on that project. That would be unfortunate, because there's lots of cool
stuff people have worked on that deserves a stable release.

-Nathan