[yt-dev] Make the default camera lens the perspective lens

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:29:18 PST 2016

I believe the perspective camera is the most intuitive, and if the speed is
similar to the plane-parallel lens as suggested, I am all for switching the
defaults.  But it may mean we need to tweak some of the cookbook recipes
because many of them were made with the plane parallel lens in mind.

Cameron

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Michael Zingale <
michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> I think that it makes sense to make perspective the default -- that's what
> most other vis packages seem to default to.
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm curious what people think about switching the default camera lens
>> from "plane-parallel" to "perspective".
>>
>> Perspective cameras are more intuitive - it makes sense to talk about a
>> camera position and orientation, since all the rays originate from a single
>> point.
>>
>> The last time this came up, the major concern was that perspective
>> renders were not as performant as plane-parallel renders.
>>
>> Today Kacper submitted a PR that substantially improves the performance
>> of the perspective camera:
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-requests/2028/
>>
>> If we benchmark and find that the plane-parallel camera is competitive
>> with the plane-parallel camera in terms of speed, would it be ok to switch
>> to perspective for the default camera?
>>
>> -Nathan

> Michael Zingale
> Associate Professor
>
> Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
> 11794-3800
> *phone*:  631-632-8225
> *e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
> *web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale