[yt-dev] A change to the new volume rendering API

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:43:51 PST 2016

I thought the reason we chose to do things this way was to leave the
situation open for multi-ds scenes (ie for making movies over time series
with a camera path that easily spanned the volume over individual
datasets)?  Matt is correct in that right now there is no way to do time
series movies, but I thought we redefined things this way to enable it in
the future.  Maybe I'm mistaken here?  Perhaps Sam can chime in.

If we implement things as Nathan suggests, does this still leave us room to
make VRs over time series and have a camera in a consistent domain?  it
seems like it could be problematic if that unit system changes with each
dataset (eg for cosmological volumes).  But perhaps one could just specify
things in comoving units and then things would just "work"?

For time series movies, does this mean we need to make a scene object for
each individual dataset?  I had thought that we'd have a single Scene
object and then add the individual time series datasets to it, along with
the timeline object to define how the camera moved, etc.  But obviously
none of this is implemented, and I don't know that we're all in agreement
on it.  I just don't want to paint ourselves into a corner so that making
movies over timeseries becomes really difficult when we get around to
implementing it.

Cameron Hummels
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Astronomy