[yt-dev] Progress toward 3.3 release: blocking issues

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:40:37 PDT 2016

Hi all,

As many of you may have noticed, Cameron and I followed through on our plan
to triage the issue tracker and identify issues that should block the 3.3
release. Apologies for the inbox damage this may have caused today.

This was a qualitative process based on our judgement calls, so if you feel
we made any mistakes on issues that you get notifications for, please feel
free to re-open or edit issues you have opinions about.

In the end, there are now 63 issues marked with a version of 3.3.
Provisionally, these are the blockers for the 3.3 release. You can see the
issues for yourself in this bitbucket search:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues?status=open&status=new&version=3.3

They vary in difficulty and we will probably end up deciding to punt on a
number of them, but as a rule of thumb, these issues are generally:

* bugs
* regressions
* not new features or feature requests
* documentation improvements

and

* probably solvable in a maximum of a few hours

Hopefully now that there are a finite number of things to do before 3.3,
rather than an undefined number of things to do, this will help us in
identifying things to work on, and aid in making progress on the release.

I'd like to request from the community that you take on these issues and
try to fix as many of them as we can before 3.3 goes out. I expect that we
will likely have another sprint on our slack channel within the next month
or so to try to get the bulk of them done, but please feel free to take any
of them on and issue a pull request at any time.

To ease managing closing the issues, include the phrase "Closes #XXXX" in
your pull request title (where XXXX is the issue number), so that when the
pull request is merged, the issue will also be closed.

Please reply to this thread if you have concerns about the general strategy
I've outlined here for releasing 3.3, or anything else related to the
issues or the 3.3 release itself.

Best,

Nathan Goldbaum