[yt-dev] [GSoC] [Domain Contexts] Hello Everyone

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:20:16 PST 2016

Hi Kumar,

First, take a look at the bitbucket wiki page we have set up for GSoC,
which has more information about how you should fill out your application:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/wiki/Google%20Summer%20of%20Code%202016%20Guidelines

Britton Smith is at a conference this week, so he may take a few days to
respond with specific advice about domain contexts.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Kumar Ayush <cheekujodhpur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am Kumar Ayush, an Engineering Physics sophomore who also loves coding.
> I am the convener of the Web n Coding Club in my institute.
>
> I have been working with astronomy for 5 years now, having represented my
> country twice at the International Astronomy Olympiads. I really liked the
> project idea "Domain Contexts and Domain-specific fields".
>
> I am not familiar with yt and am really clueless on how to proceed.

I'd suggest installing yt. If you have a python environment setup, you
should be able to do "conda install yt" or "pip install yt", or whatever
variation on that is appropriate for your python setup to get a copy of yt
installed on your system. You can also try the source-based install script
linked on our website, which will build yt from source assuming you have
the necessary compilers installed.

To get an idea of what yt can do, I'd take a look at the quickstart guide:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/quickstart/index.html

cookbook recipes:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/cookbook/index.html

and the rest of our documentation:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/

If you end up working on domain contexts, you'll be working with the field
system, which is documented here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/fields.html

At some point before the application is due, you'll need to set up a
development environment and submit a pull request. There's more information
about how to set up a development environment and contribute changes in our
development guide:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/developing/index.html

We're also happy to answer questions about this process on the mailing
list, on our IRC channel, or in our slack channel, which I can send you an
invite for.

Most of us are online during working hours in the US, although a few of us
are in Europe.

-Nathan