[yt-dev] Testing infra - update

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:33:37 PST 2016

Hi,
as you may have noticed I've recently introduced new test runner (PR
1893 and PR 2010). It allows to keep testsuite defined as a part of main
yt repository. Each test run parses 'tests/tests_2.7.yaml' and creates a
set of nose tasks out of it. The aforementioned 'tests_2.7.yaml' looks
like this:

answer_tests:
  local_artio_270:
    - yt/frontends/artio/tests/test_outputs.py
other_tests:
  unittests:
     - '-v'

where each element in 'answer_tests' defines answer name
(local_artio_270 in above snippet) and specifies a list of
files/classes/methods that will be validated
(yt/frontends/artio/tests/test_outputs.py in above snippet).

As a result:

 1) You can easily add new answer tests, by adding:
    my_answer_name_123
       - yt/frontends/blah/tests.py
       - yt/frontends/blah/tests2.py:my_special_func

 2) You can easily generate new answers to existing tests by e.g.
renaming local_artio_270 to local_artio_271.

I'd encourage people with open pull requests that are waiting for
regeneration of answer tests to merge with current tip of yt_analysis/yt
and start using this. You can safely ignore 'tests/test_3.4.yaml' for now.

I'll update the part of the documentation describing how to write answer
tests with more detailed description asap.
Cheers,
Kacper