[yt-dev] RFC: replacing numpydoc with napoleon

Kacper Kowalik xarthisius.kk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:29:13 PDT 2016

Hi all!
As you may know, most of the yt's docstrings are written using so called
"numpy-style" [1]. It's not a default Sphinx's format and it requires an
extension to parse it. Up till now we've been using numpydoc [2] to
handle it. However, numpydoc is a bit buggy and not actively developed.
My main issue with numpydoc is that it throws a bazillion of bogus
warnings bloating jenkins logs to 100Mb for every docs' build.

There's an alternative extension: napoleon [3] that I'd like to try. The
resulting documentation looks a bit different and it may also require a
little bit of work to iron out the rough edges.
I issued a PR 2238 [4] to show docs with the new look.

I'd appreciate your comments.
Cheers,
Kacper

[1]