[yt-dev] IPython dependency in the install script

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:44:37 PST 2016

Hi all,

With the release of Jupyter, the number of dependencies necessary for the
IPython notebook has exploded somewhat. I just created a new virtualenv and
did "pip install jupyter". The output of "pip freeze" for this virtualenv
is pasted here:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/6141/

As you can see, jupyter brings in a large number of python packages, and it
would be a real pain to manually install all of these in the install script.

This is coming up because I'm in the middle of updating the notebooks in
our docs to use the latest notebook format. To make it so users can *read*
these notebooks, I'd also like to update the version of IPython/Jupyter
being installed.

I can see three ways forward, in order of my preference:

1. Use pip to install jupyter, which will automatically bring in IPython
and all its dependencies.  I'd probably pin it at Jupyter 1.x / IPython 4.x
to avoid having it update to a possible incompatible notebook version in
the future.

2. Manually install Jupyter's dependencies in the install script, as we've
done for IPython in the past.

3. Punt and just keep on installing IPython 2.4.1.

What do people think about this? Would anyone have objections to relying on
pip to install Jupyter and its dependencies?

Thanks for your advice,

-Nathan