[yt-dev] Proposal: NumFOCUS Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:26:47 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

The NumFOCUS organization is a 501(c)3 dedicated to both open source
scientific software and computational science education ( numfocus.org ).
I have recently been named to their board of directors.

NumFOCUS supports many projects familiar to us here, including NumPy,
Matplotlib, Jupyter, Astropy, and Sympy, as well as rOpenSci, Data
Carpentry, Software Carpentry and Julia.

After talking this over with Britton, I would like to propose that we join
NumFOCUS through a comprehensive Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement.  This
process is outlined here:

http://www.numfocus.org/apply-for-fiscal-sponsorship.html

Organizations such as NumPy and rOpenSci have detailed their reasons for
participating in this program here:

https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2015-October/073926.html
https://ropensci.org/blog/2014/10/01/numfocus-partnership/

Primarily, I think that this would help with our ability to exist
independently of a single investigator; grants for programs such as
workshops, project infrastructure, and so on can be managed by NumFOCUS
(which has low overhead) and can be affiliated with the project.

I think this is something that warrants discussion, and perhaps should be
talked over in person during a team meeting, but I believe that this would
be a strong step forward for us as a project and a community.