[yt-dev] yt 3.3 mini-sprint

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Feb 2 14:43:57 PST 2016

I've been meaning to reengage on yt hacking for a while, so I'd happily
participate in a mini-sprint.  Because of teaching, Thurs and Friday works
best for me, so if it overlaps with one of those days, I'll try to clear my
day to contribute.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear yt developers,
>
> At the team meeting today, we discussed having a mini-sprint to finish off
> the remaining VR refactor stuff in preparation for a 3.3 release. I've gone
> through the open issues, and sorted them into the following categories. The
> first five categories are for issues that, IMO, represent significant
> usability concerns and block a 3.3 release:
>
> 1) Improved Narrative Docs and Cookbook Recipes: Issues 1110
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1110/experimental-vr-camera-movement-recipe>,
> 1112
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1112/experimental-document-how-to-use-the-get_>,
> 1128
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1128/experimental-describe-using-the-__repr__>
> 2) Transfer Function Usability Issues: 1098
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1098/experimental-enhanced-documentation-on>,
> 1104
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1104/experimental-transfer-functions-move-from>
> 3) Alpha Issues with Render Sources: 1129
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1133/experimental-alpha-seems-not-to-get>,
> 1133
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1133/experimental-alpha-seems-not-to-get>
> 4) Units Issue with the Camera: 1132
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1132/experimental-camerawidth-is-currently>
> 5) Manual Use of the Off-Axis Projection transfer function: 1103
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1103/experimental-render-with>
>
> There are a few categories of issues that, while they would certainly be
> nice to include, do not IMO *need* to be included in 3.3. These are:
>
> 1) Camera Path stuff: 1115
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1115/experimental-add-in-keyframes-for-making>,
> 1116
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1116/experimental-making-vr-work-with>
> ,
> 2) new VR annotations for lines and rays: 1126
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1126/experimental-add-annotate_ray-and>
> 3) Speed up the Perspective Lens and make it the default in the docs. 1121
> <https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1121/experimental-speed-up-perspectivecamera>
>
> If you disagree with any of these classifications, or if I've left
> something out, please let me know.
>
> Some time in the coming weeks, I think it would be good to dedicate a few
> person-days of effort to a mini-sprint to finish these issues off.  I'd be
> game for such an effort myself, and I know that Nathan mentioned at the
> hangout that he'd be willing to help, too. If anyone else would like to
> contribute, please let me know be responding to this email. We can decide
> on a precise set of dates later. Of course, there's no reason we have to
> wait for the sprint to start crossing these off, but in practice having a
> [...]

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale