[yt-dev] vertex-centered data

Jonah Miller jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:53:46 PDT 2016

Hi yt-dev,

Nathan Goldbaum and I were discussing the possibility of handling
vertex-centered data natively in yt. We think that roughly this is quite
do-able and that most of the pieces are already in place. Nathan
suggested I summarize our discussion and email it to all of you to ask
for your opinions.

Internally, all that's required is using the generated ghost cells to
convert between cell- and vertex-centered data. (For non-periodic
boundaries, linear extrapolation, which would need to be implemented,
should be good enough.)

In the userspace side, we need a concept for this type of data so that
it can be extracted and manipulated. One option would be to make
centering an attribute for datasets. It could be immutable or mutable,
depending on design choices. In both cases, we would create a method to
go between centerings:
ds.to_centering(centering_type)

in the former case, this method would return a new dataset. In the
latter case, it would reset the dataset.

In principle, centering is a metadata property. The input data can be
interpolated when it's explored and not before. So for this reason, it
makes some sense to leave the centering as a dataset property rather
than as, say, a field property.

I think that's about it. Nathan can correct me if I forgot something.

Thanks!

Best,
Jonah Miller