[yt-dev] Anyone know anything about EAGLE data?

Gabriel Altay gabriel.altay at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 07:42:47 PDT 2015

Hi Nathan,

I never really got a chance to work with the Eagle data, but I know the
general layout.  My suggestion would be to make an EagleFieldInfo class
that just contains the stuff in the snipshot (might be worthwhile to make a
class for both snipshots and snapshots).  The only thing available in the
snipshot files is the total mass in elements heavier than helium. It is not
possible to know the distribution of mass among the heavier elements
without looking at a snapshot.  For the snapshots, you can know how the
mass is distributed among the elements, but you can't know the ionization
state of the elements without knowing the UV background (which is not in
the snapshot and I think is different from what was used in OWLS so the
code I wrote to calculate it for OWLS wont give the correct answers). Hope
that gets you started.

cheers,
-G