[yt-dev] proposed change to development process

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:17:55 PDT 2015

Matt,

>> Lastly, I think at minimum, there needs to be some minimum docs
>> description (docstrings and a simple recipe) included when major work goes
>> into the single-head dev branch, for the simple reason that the other
>> developers need to know how to use the functionality to be able to test it
>> and contribute to it.  I think it is unrealistic for the other developers
>> to have to read through the entirety of the new code to understand how to
>> use the functionality once it is in dev.  I know this opinion is
>> controversial in our group, but I really think it is important for
>> fostering collaborative development with each other.
>>

> This opinion is absolutely not controversial.  You are not alone in
> feeling this way, and I personally cannot think of anyone who disagrees
> with you that we need a "minimum docs description" specifically docstrings
> and a simple recipe (often included in the docstrings).  I have spent the
> last little while looking over pull requests, and nearly all came with this
> level of documentation, if not more, at their initial outset post-WIP.

It seemed to me that merging in "unfinished" code into the main dev branch
is exactly what was being proposed by some in this very discussion.  While
we've had a pretty good track record in the past of making sure code had
some minimal documentation to go into dev, I thought people were precisely
proposing to lower that bar to make collaborative work easier.  That's why
I'm bringing this up.  While I think it makes it easier on the original
developer to get the code merged in the main dev head, by lowering the bar
for merge, it makes it harder for future collaborative efforts because the
other devs won't know how to use it, or how it works at a base level for
future work on it.

Cameron