[yt-dev] proposed change to development process

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:29:40 PDT 2015

As a first point, I think it's good that we're having this discussion in
general.  Thanks to everyone for the civil dialog, as it just makes our
community stronger.

So it seems like most people don't want to have multiple heads in the dev
branch?  I'm still not entirely convinced that this is bad as long as the
merges to the non-main dev head are taking place during the PR triage when
one of the members can assure that the tip (or experimental head) is
pointing to the right changeset, but people seem really opposed to this.

As for big PRs getting merged directly into the main dev branch, I guess I
still have some reservations.  Basically what we're saying is that once a
feature goes into the main dev head, it *will* be included in the next
major release, and we have to block on that release until its reached the
agreed upon level of "doneness".  But the problem with this is, different
features merged in will be "done" at different times, so maybe feature A is
done and its author really wants to get it out to stable, but feature B is
not yet done and its author needs to go on vacation or doesn't have time to
write docs for it or something.  What do we do then?  Also, we've had
situations in the past with pressure to get releases out that were for
reasons other than the development cycle (e.g. jobs, personal, etc.), which
is totally understandable, but this leaves us with no other choice than to
release all of the features instead of picking which one we release.  Big
pushes like this are usually when strife occurs in our community.  Having
multiple heads avoids this clash.

I agree with Matt that API stability is a main concern about merging
something into dev.  But once something goes into dev, there are going to
be a lot of "users" of it, and to have the API still open to modifications
is going to mess with a lot of people's scripts.  So I think in order for a
PR to get merged into the main dev head, the *doneness* of the
functionality should be such that the API is stable (with Matt's caveat
that if it really has to change, then it really has to).  This API stable
rule will help prevent a lot of problems with users getting frustrated down
the road.  But perhaps it takes a lot of collaborative work (ie forks of
forks) before one can get to a stable API before merging into the single
dev head model.  With multiple heads, this is more easily avoided.

Lastly, I think at minimum, there needs to be some minimum docs description
(docstrings and a simple recipe) included when major work goes into the
single-head dev branch, for the simple reason that the other developers
need to know how to use the functionality to be able to test it and
contribute to it.  I think it is unrealistic for the other developers to
have to read through the entirety of the new code to understand how to use
the functionality once it is in dev.  I know this opinion is controversial
in our group, but I really think it is important for fostering
collaborative development with each other.

Cameron

Cameron Hummels
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Astronomy